Monday, March 31, 2014

The big UX

User Experience

Well after devoting the majority of my blogging time to the actual code and development, I think it is time to talk about the user experience that we are trying to achieve.  So we have some mock ups of what the site design will look like and, from my client hat point of view, I really like the design.  It has a very professional feel to it as well as being very clear and concise.  The help section is very clearly marked and easy to find in case the user is unsure of how to use the product.  Below is a link to see what we have so far as far as mock ups go, and implementing the site to look this way is currently in progress.

UNM Visual Design Mock Ups

The user experience of this product is significantly better than what UNM is currently using for purposes of scheduling.  Personally, every time I have made up a schedule on the UNM website, I search my classes beforehand and jot down the CRN numbers and times of classes I need to take in a spreadsheet.  If I am registering and a class I put in my schedule is full, then I basically must rush through this whole process again to rearrange my schedule.  The UNM Visual Scheduler improves user experience by having all the necessary tools for a user in one place.  With a built in calendar and schedule generator, this whole terrible registering process becomes automated and all the user has to to is choose their preference of schedule.  In my mind, the design is clean, elegant, easy to use, and will provide people the information they need in a readable format.  Once this design is implemented, I know that our users will keep coming back semester after semester.


No comments:

Post a Comment